Week 10 & 11

Hot Fuzz - Influences

I have been focusing on the film ‘Hot Fuzz’ by Edgar White; a film that has really stood out to me. I have been concentrating on the DVD cover for the film, and this in particular has stood out for me as a having a very strong narrative. Therefore because my film plot has the same enigmatic element, I will be taking influences from the film ‘Hot Fuzz’.

From looking at the image on the cover I get the idea that this particular film genre could be Action or Thriller, however when I look at the text on the cover it reads “A NEW COMEDY FROM THE MAKERS OF ‘SHAUN OF THE DEAD’. This then throws us as an audience in to a whole new perspective and we start to take notice of more detailed elements within the picture: For example; the two main characters are wearing British Police uniforms, but they are fully kitted with guns and bullets, this is where we start to notice the comedy, it’s quite humorous because in England we don’t tend to see Policeman all kitted up and ready for action, it’s generally the Police force in the US that have that much equipment. ‘BIG COPS. SMALL TOWN. MODERATE VIOLENCE.’ – This is a basic narrative; we are given a very brief idea of the plot, in small short snappy sentences. The backdrop of the DVD cover is very enigmatic; the sunrise is very poignant and boosts the dramatic appeal. The greyscale at the bottom along with the darkness creates this contrast that fits with the mix of the audiences ideas on the story and genre of the film. In a sense we are given the end result with a few hints and clues, and we then have to create the rest of the story with the source of our own ideas.
This to me relates a lot to my film, because I have chosen to create a comedy that is quite unexpected. From the opening of my trailer you wouldn’t quite know what it is that you are going to be watching. The audience will be watching it in the same perspective of one of the characters, in the sense that they won’t have much of an idea of what the driving instructor is about. Leaving herself and the audience with the question ‘What is he going to do next?’ My film is in effect a Comedy with enigmatic elements to throw the audience into a self found narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment