Low budget/High Budget

EVERYTHING MUST GO – LOW BUDGET FILM
TRAILER:
• No special effects
• The dialogue hasn’t been perfectly scrubbed over the tinny sounds created through the camera (sounds tinny)
• One song played throughout
• Very varied amount of camera angles
• Very bland and basic titles a few people featured throughout trailer

Still a very good trailer, IT came off well, but didn’t make me really excited about watching it.
It was very bland but that reminded me of the film ‘Juno’ which was bland primarily so it could reflect the time and location. Therefore this could be the same.

THE HANGOVER –HIGH BUDGET FILM
TRAILER:
• Quick editing
• Very slick
• Volumes are perfectly matched along with dialogue
• Set in Las Vegas, so everything looks very pricey and pictures
• Birds eye shots, and high levels, obviously done using a crane or helicopter.
• Special effects
• Very obvious a lot of money has been put into this trailer
• Big flashy title
• Several different locations
• Lots of cast
• Well known actors/characters.
In order to further my research within the film industry I have selected a high budget film and a low budget film, and taken a look at the differences and similarities they both have.
Straight away after watching both trailers, it was very clear to me which of the films was the high budget and which of the films was low budget.
I started watching Everything must go, and within the first 10 seconds I lost focus and switched my brain off. It just didn’t have that eye grabbing attention element. There was nothing punchy to keep my interest. They didn’t use any special effects, the only one I really noticed was right at the beginning they had a television, but they had transferred they’re own moving image onto the screen, and it wasn’t done very well, as you could really tell that it wasn’t being shown on the television at the time. It may well have been done for the comedy effect, but to me it did look very poor. Another downside about the trailer was the dialogue, I felt like it hadn’t really been perfectly scrubbed over, it sounded quite tinny, although this could have had something to do with the version I was watching, I don’t quite know. The trailer only featured one song the whole way through so you didn’t have any different emotion incepted. The fact that they didn’t have any special effects or anything flashy was actually compensated with the amount of different camera angles, they seemed to have almost every camera shot used, this made it more exciting for us as viewers because there was more to focus on. I was very disappointed when I saw the titles; they were written in Arial font and were just so, so boring, there was nothing interesting or eye grabbing. I really wasn’t keen on this trailer because it just didn’t meet up to my expectations; I found it to be very bland.
The Hangover was such a breath of fresh air after watching ‘Everything must go’. The quick editing kept me intrigued, and I was given the plot within the first 15 seconds which I didn’t get in ‘Everything Must Go’, the music built up with the film which drew you straight in. The transitions between each clip were really smooth, and the volume levels were set intone with the dialogue so you weren’t fighting against your ear drums. The film is set in Las Vegas so automatically the mise en scene is very aesthetically appealing; everything looks flashy and pricey with all the glam and glitz of Vegas. The camera angles used are at times very high or birds eye views, indicating that they’ve got the budget to use helicopters and cranes. Everything is just done so nicely, they’ve used stunt doubles and lots of small special effects to piece it all together and come out with this mesmerising trailer. One thing I noticed between the two was the cast numbers, in ‘Everything Must Go’ the cast is very small, they never seem to have a lot of people featured in the film unlike ‘The Hangover’ this is where you notice the budget difference, because obviously every person that is featured in the film will have to be paid some sort of fee, so the low budget film would have purposely made it a small cast to save money for other areas whereas the high budget film would have had the money to add more of a cast.
It is clear that the high budget film made the bigger impact, but I still think that even with a low budget film there is potential to make it amazing without using all the flashy expensive elements, it just needs more thought and attention to detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment