Results

I handed my questionnaires out to three different year groups (year ten, year eleven and upper sixth). All students that took my questionnaire were media students.
I have created four different pie charts from the results that I have collected, giving me a clearer viewing process. Each individual year group shows a similar result… the three pie charts that are specific to each year group all have a similar consistency; Comedy is over 30% in each year group, but then if you compare year eleven and tens results with sixth form, you can see that it’s the younger students that favour the horror genre, with both the younger year groups having results of over 20% for horror and sixth form as little as 8%. From just looking at the pie charts I very quickly ruled out sci-fi, Romance, chick flick, thriller and rom/com. On the ‘Overall’ pie chart the three genres that had the most votes were Action, Comedy and Horror, the other five were significantly smaller on the pie chart. The results showed me that by eliminating the five small genres my trailer was more likely to be a success, because I would be using a more appealing genre. When it came to deciding out of the final three, it was actually very easy to choose. I decided against horror because from looking at feedback on past years coursework, they have usually stated that the students that decided to base their coursework on horror did a lot of excellent theory work, but when it came down to their end of it, they didn’t do very well with the moving image.
Seeing as Comedy was the most popular with all year groups, it was the clear choice overall, however I do feel this will be a challenge, but I am ready to take on that challenge.
Because I have collected my results from students aged 14-18, I am going to aim my film at the ages 15 and above. So I will clearly display my film as a 15 certificate, the reason I have cut off the age at 15 is because it will give me more to work with, whereas if I had the certificate as a 12 I would need to be extra careful with the humour I use, but by cutting the age at 15 I have more freedom to use any sexual references and more mature language if needed.


After deciding on the genre and audience of my trailer I then needed to decide what other two forms of advertisement I was going to use to go along with the trailer/film.



From collecting the results from my questionnaire it shows:
Trailer’s was an obvious favourite, because the vast majority of our population consume a lot of television. Magazines clearly aren’t successfully advertising films, because only one student out of three different groups said that they heard about films through magazines. So from my results I have decided to go with the Internet website and a poster.

A lot of students said that they consumed the movies they watched online or DVDS borrowed from Blockbuster’s, this supports the two other forms of advertisement I have picked. Blockbuster’s is full of film posters, and the internet is full of online film advertisement as well as trailers. So therefore I feel I have made the right decision in choosing to make a website homepage and a poster to go along with my trailer.
My next few steps are going to be deciding on a plot for my trailer, giving my trailer a time limit and then starting to look into different camera shots and angles.

I have prepared a sheet of questions for a one to one interview with a couple of students over the age of 15. I will play a teaser trailer and a full trailer of a comedy movie. This will then give me a brief idea of what my audience notice and look for in a trailer. I have chosen to use open questions giving my interviewees no chance to give me one word answers. They will have to openly discuss their answers with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment