Week 5 & 6

Now I have chosen my specific genre, I need to develop my knowledge and understanding of what forms and conventions are considered within the comedy genre.
I have chosen four well-known comedies that are popular with the 15+ age group. I watched each film trailer one after the other, with no long break between them. After watching all four of them I wanted to see which trailer had made the biggest impact on me. The Hangover stood out the most to me as the most successful trailer, because of its use of flashy glitz and glam.
I then took some time to look over each trailer and briefly analyse each trailer. Despite them being all the same genre each film was portrayed very differently.
A voice over is present in three out of four of them, and the voice over generally introduces or narrates, relating back to some earlier research of mine that this is a very easy going genre and purely entertainment. Music in this genre seems to play a big part, as it really does give off the impact and set the whole mood of the trailer right from go. I noticed that in one or two of the trailers the music paused for significant or funny dialogue and then restarted with a different track. I really liked this element and it will be something I will look at doing for my trailer. Each trailer involves a typical Laugh out loud moment, this seems very vital for this genre because after all if you don’t find it funny, why is it classified as a comedy? The titles for each movie had a specific uniform within the film, so all the colours and sizes blended as one to create a whole image.
I also noticed that with the teaser trailers, they seem to have big titles that interrupt about half way through, whereas the full theatrical trailers don’t seem to show their titles until the very end of the trailer.
After researching different trailers, it is clear which elements and feature I am going to need to involve in order to come out with the best result. All points I have picked up on seem to be a key to successful trailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment